In a nutshell
Immunity enhancing key vitamins and minerals:
Reliable food supplements are the right way to support the immune system ...
While a modern diet based on a plethora of processed food, the risk of deficiency of the essential nutrients is becoming evident. The better way to avoid the lack of crucial nutrients is to include a variety of natural products into the menu. However, dietary supplements are an excellent way to support healthy living. Moreover, when the risk of being infected by a dangerous virus is high- reliable food supplements are the right way to guarantee the essential intake of crucial vitamins and minerals to support the immune system and to speed up recovery.
Antioxidants boost the immune response ...
Environmental pollution strongly affects the immune system. A variety of toxins is responsible for the immune defense decay. The antioxidants are essential for detoxification- toxins destruction and removal out of the body. Thus, vitamins C and E, while playing an important role in the detoxification of the body, boost the immune response.
Selenium (Se) and copper (Cu) -trace dietary minerals- are integrated into certain types of proteins. Some of those proteins are effective antioxidants and play a significant role in antivirus immunity.
Vitamin C. What we ought to know …
• Vitamin C helps to boost the immune system, reduce the severity and duration of some infections while promoting the healing of damaged tissues.
• A variety of toxins enter the body from the environment with air and with food and weak out the immune system. Vitamin C is a crucial antioxidant. It helps the body to destroy and remove the toxins out.
• Adult females should aim for 75 mg, while adult males need about 90 mg of this nutrient each day. As a rule, to boost vitamin C effect supplements contain 500 mg or even 1000 mg per serving. On the one hand, maximum daily intake for vitamin C is 2000 mg- so taking even 1000% more than regular consumption is OK. But on the other hand, while we are talking about pills -it easy to overdose. So, taking into account a possible overdose by mistake, it is better to choose supplements in which the recommended serving is divided into several pills or capsules.
• Another point we ought to know about enhanced vitamin C concentration- taking high doses over a long period of time may result in the development of scurvy, if the high doses are stopped abruptly. This happens because the body attempts to release excess amounts of this vitamin through urine. When a high vitamin dose is excreted, the body still releases the same amount until it can adjust to the new lower levels. Finally, the body releases too much of this nutrient during this time, and it can result in deficiency and related symptoms.
Vitamin A is essential for the immune defense of the mucous membrane ...
• Vitamin A stimulates the production of a particular type of lymphocytes by the bone marrow. Those lymphocytes are responsible for protection against viruses and cancer cells.
• Vitamin A is essential for the immune defense of the mucous membrane, including the gut and respiratory passages through which the viruses infiltrate into the body. It makes vitamin A especially crucial for the immune defense under coronavirus outbreak
• Daily, females should get 700 micrograms (μg) and males 900 micrograms (μg) of this vitamin- 3,000 IU (international units of vitamin A equivalent). Because vitamin A is not water-soluble like a vitamin C- its excessive quantity could not be excreted with urine. So, us a rule, vitamin A concentration in supplements does not exceed the daily recommended intake significantly in contrast with vitamin C.
Vitamin E improves the immune defense of the lung tissue ...
• Vitamin E is vital for the immune system. Like vitamin A, vitamin E stimulates lymphocytes by the bone marrow. This type of lymphocytes (t-cells) is responsible for protection against viruses and cancer cells.
• Vitamin E is a vital antioxidant, which like vitamin C, helps the body to destroy toxins and enhance the immune system. Some researches show that vitamin E as an antioxidant helps to stabilize membranes of the lung cells and significantly improves the local immune defense of the lung tissue.
Be aware!!! There are three points we should account for!!!
• The vitamin E has blood thinner properties. So, in case someone consumes any of the blood thinners medicine, the person must ask for advice from a doctor before taking supplements that contain vitamin E.
• There are two primary sources of vitamin E:
a) Natural raw materials. The vitamin produced from plant oils like olive, sunflower, soybean oils, or other plant oils rich with vitamin E (tocopherol). This kind of vitamin is labeled by prefix "d" - for example, "d-alpha-tocopherol acetate".
b) Petroleum. It is fully synthetic Vitamin E. This kind of vitamin is labeled by prefix "dl" - for example, "dl-alpha-tocopherol".
Variations of vitamin E from both sources have almost identical chemical structures, and both can be used as supplements. But tocopherol from the natural source is thought to be more bioavailable - most effective than a synthetic one.
• Daily recommended intake for vitamin E is 22-24 IU. But manufacturers of the multivitamins are used to add significantly more of this vitamin per serving of their products. Vitamin E, like vitamin A, is fat-soluble- so, the body accumulates it. Therefore exaggerated concentrations might be dangerous. Even though the upper limit (UL) intake is 1000 IU in the US, better do not exceed more than 400 IU per day. European Food Safety Authority restricts UL at 300 mg (400 IU) due to a lack of evidence that more vitamin E can benefit health.
Vitamins of the B complex are essential for the immune reaction ...
• Some vitamins of the B complex (B1, B2, B6) are crucial for producing certain types of proteins, which necessary for an immune response against infection.
• Besides the immune system, B vitamins are vital for the nervous system, blood, and skin- so manufacturers of multivitamins are used to put a considerable quantity of these vitamins per serving. Like vitamin C, B vitamins are water-soluble, and the body releases excess amounts of these vitamins through urine.
Zinc is essential for antivirus protection of the upper part of respiratory passages ...
• Zinc works together with a large number of proteins, providing correct functionality of so many critical body systems, including the immune system.
• Zinc is especially essential in the first steps of the anti-infection defense by interacting with the immune cells.
• There is evidence that the consumption of zinc supplements at the early stages of the common cold helps to reduce the severity and duration of the illness.
• Zinc inhibits the replication of viruses in the cells of mucous membranes of the upper part of respiratory passages.
• Zinc is crucial to prevent excessive inflammation reaction, which is destructive for the human body.
• Zinc is non-toxic, and the body gets rid of what it doesn't need. The daily recommended intake is 10-12 mg. The upper daily allowance is 40 mg.
Selenium dramatically improves immune reaction ...
• Selenium is an essential trace dietary mineral. It is a crucial component of 25 selenoproteins that involved in a variety of vital body functions, including immunity.
• There is a secure connection between the presence of selenium in the diet and adequate antivirus immune reaction. Selenium supplements have a positive effect on interferon response. Cells infected by virus release interferon. Interferon causes to enhance antivirus protection of nearby cells and activates immune cells' reaction to fight the virus.
• It is known that selenium presence in a diet alleviates the severity of inflammation in the lungs and intestine.
• Researches show that selenium enhances the effectiveness of the vaccine by dramatically improving immune reaction against pathogens.
• Selenoproteins are effective antioxidants. Studies show that selenium and vitamin E increase the antioxidant activity of each other when both are applied together.
• Selenium is a trace mineral- it means we need it in a tiny amount - 70 µg per day ( 1 µg is one millionth (1/1,000,000) part of a gram). The upper daily allowance is 400 µg. The best form of selenium intake is selenomethionine- it is an essential amino acid. Selenomethionine produced from natural plant sources.
Copper deficiency reduces the activity of the immune system ...
• Copper is vital for a lot of physiological processes. This trace dietary mineral is essential for brain health, red blood cells, glucose metabolism, immune defense, and so on, and so on...
• As it is shown in numerous researches, copper deficiency has a strong correlation with reduced production of new immune cells which provide first- step defense against viruses.
• Copper deficiency also connected with the relatively low activity of certain types of lymphocytes (B cells). This type of lymphocytes is responsible for the recognition and quick elimination of pathogens that the body coped with in the past.
• Daily recommended intake is 1-1.5 mg/ day. The upper limit is 10 mg/day.